The Tumor Genomics Program serves as a complement to the ASCO Cancer Genetics Program and is designed to increase knowledge in the area of tumor genomics, particularly regarding somatic genomic alterations that drive tumor progression and have implications for clinical research and patient care. This program is designed to focus on assisting its target audience (1) in developing a sound understanding of the genomic methods used to determine results with NGS and (2) in understanding the determination of somatic (tumor) genomic alterations and their implications for disease progression and therapeutics.
- Distinguish from the numerous existing next generation sequencing technologies, platforms, and applications and develop an appreciation of their respective strengths and weaknesses
- Describe the bioinformatics pipeline which ultimately is responsible for generating the results reported as a process consisting of a number of complex steps and performed in multiple ways with implications for that which is reported
- Illustrate how results reported are influenced by a number of independent factors such as the genomic complexity of the tumor microenvironment, the type of tumor specimen analyzed and its composition in terms of tumor versus stromal cells, and the NGS platform and bioinformatics pipeline utilized
- Interpret existing publically available resources that can be used to contextualize the results reported and to identify potential therapeutic options
7 Credits/Points are available for participation in this course. Certificate and credit types available include:
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- ABIM and ABMS (ABPath, ABR) MOC Points
- CNE Contact Hours
- CPE Credits
- Certificate of Participation may be used to confer credit; however, all final decisions regarding the awarding of credits will be made by the licensing organization to which the credits are submitted.
- Certificate of Completion may be used to document participation, but no credit will be conferred.
- This course expires on May 14, 2018. Participants must complete all necessary course components by this date to receive credit.