This free case-based activity includes a crowd-sourced discussion of a 41 -year-old male with a noted dark area on the roof of his mouth in the Spring of 2015, in addition to areas on his left upper gums several months earlier. At the urging of his wife, he scheduled an appointment with a dentist for the first time in years, and prior to that appointment, his wife observed a new mass in his left neck. He was seen by an otolaryngologist, who performed a biopsy of the lesion which showed melanoma.A targeted next generation sequencing assay was performed on the tumor and identified two genetic abnormalities, a single nucleotide variant in BRAF codon 600 and an indel in CDKN2A codon 72. Staging MRI brain and PET/CT imaging showed no evidence of brain metastases, but demonstrated intense FDG uptake in the region of the left hard palate with extension into the alveolar ridge of the left maxilla, consistent with a neoplastic process.
Originally posted on a forum in the ASCO Connection, participants now have the opportunity to claim CME, completion, or participation certificates for completing this activity.
- Identify potential 1st line treatment regimens for metastatic/unresectable melanoma with a BRAF p.V600E mutation
- Associate common pitfalls in identifying BRAF mutation variants in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded melanoma tissue with various molecular techniques
- Explain whether mutational status may be associated with different outcomes in patients with melanoma
Continuing Education Credit
1 Credit/Point is available for participation in this course. Certificate and credit types available include:
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- ABIM MOC Points
- Certificate of Participation may be used to confer credit; however, all final decisions regarding the awarding of credits will be made by the licensing organization to which the credits are submitted.
- Certificate of Completion may be used to document participation, but no credit will be conferred.
- This course expires on January 25, 2020. Participants must complete all necessary course components by this date to receive credit.