This web-based e-Seminar examines the Top Five tests and treatments in oncology that are commonly performed but not supported by evidence. The Top Five list in oncology, developed by ASCO as part of the ABIM Foundation’s Choosing Wisely® campaign, affirms that evidence-based medicine is the key to providing high-quality, high-value care to our patients.
- Apply knowledge regarding the characteristics of solid tumor patients who should routinely receive chemothearpy based on performance status or resistant disease.
- Assess the limited indications for cross sectional imaging (CT and PET/CT) and bone scanning in the management of early clinical stage breast cancer.
- Evaluate prostate cancers that are at low risk of metastasis at presentation and apply knowledge to formulate the correct approach to radiological (staging) investigations for low-risk prostate cancer.
- Review the lack of evidence for use of imaging studies and tumor markers and utilize appropriate post-treatment follow-up for breast cancer patients.
- Enhance knowledge regarding the appropriate use of Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factors (G-CSFs) to prevent febrile neutopenia.
ACGME Competency Addressed: Medical Knowledge
Create an ASCO Guest ID.