This learning activity provides important context to the evolution of quality patient care and demonstrates how oncology caregivers can engage in quality measurement and improvement in their own practice. Specific examples are provided from a small practice and large university setting. Both show how ASCO's Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) can be used to successfully engage in quality improvement.
- Describe the current state of adult oncology care in the United States and explain why the status quo is no longer acceptable.
- Review the fundamental principles of quality improvement (QI).
- Explore how the ASCO QOPI® program is used to measure practice performance and enable improvement.
- Recognize and utilize tools for quality measurement and improvement available through ASCO.
- Identify strategies to implement QI in your practice and begin application of the strategies defined.
ACGME Competencies Addressed: Medical Knowledge, Practice-based Learning & Improvement, System-based Practice
CME Credit is available for this course.