The Advanced Practitioner Certificate Program: Basics 101 is a comprehensive resource designed to provide a current understanding of cancer, its treatment, and the supportive care needed to optimize quality of life for people with cancer. This program includes nine individual courses, plus this companion self-assessment tool with rationales covering a wide range of topics in oncology; including principles of oncology and systemic therapy, common anti-cancer therapies, supportive oncology care, and an overview of biologic therapy. The Advanced Practitioner Certificate Program: Basics 101 Assessment is a tool to assess the level of knowledge acquired after the completion of the courses in the Basics 101 program. If additional study is necessary, learners are directed to review relevant course sections and additional resourcesthat are provided.
Educational partners collaborating on the development of this activity include: Advanced Practitioner Society for Hematology and Oncology, American Society of Clinical Oncology, Association of Physician Assistants in Oncology, and the Hematology/Oncology Pharmacy Association
After participation in this activity, learners will be better able to:
- Describe principles of oncology and associate tumor grade and stage with diagnosis and prognosis
- Differentiate various forms of cancer therapy and apply them to appropriate clinical situations
- Recognize and manage treatment-related toxicities
- Formulate appropriate support care plans based on patient symptoms and therapy side effects
This activity was planned in the context of the following attributes:
Institute of Medicine (IOM) Competencies:
- Working as a part of interprofessional teams
- Delivering patient-centered care
- Practicing evidence-based medicine
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) Core Competencies:
- Medical Knowledge
IMPORTANT NOTE: This course expires on October 5, 2019. Participants must complete all necessary course components by this date.
2 Credits/Points are available for participation in this course. Certificate and credit types available include:
- AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- CNE Contact Hours
- CPE Credits
- Certificate of Participation may be used to confer credit; however, all final decisions regarding the awarding of credits will be made by the licensing organization to which the credits are submitted.
- Certificate of Completion may be used to document participation, but no credit will be conferred.